Scampston Walled Garden, an award-winning visitor attraction, is seeking to recruit a Front-of-House Manager for its busy Garden Café. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work within a friendly and passionate team, developing and delivering a fresh and seasonal menu. You will be responsible for managing front-of-house staff and ensuring the consistent high standards of customer service. The right candidate will work closely with the Kitchen Manager to ensure the smooth running of the Café.
Scampston Walled Garden is a contemporary Walled Garden which sits within the grounds of Scampston Hall. The gardens have received international acclaim and attract visitors from around the world. The Hall also opens for guided tours during summer months. The Garden Café provides a catering outlet for visitors to the Walled Garden but has also gained a reputation in its own right as a good place for light lunches and cream teas. In 2017 Scampston Hall and Walled Garden won ‘Small Visitor Attraction of the Year’ in the White Rose Awards, Yorkshire’s prestigious tourism awards. The Café and gardens are open from Good Friday until the end of October every year.
We are seeking a suitably experienced candidate for this temporary role who is hard-working, efficient, a team player and who has excellent customer service experience. You must have relevant experience in team management, be comfortable using a till and managing stock levels effectively and organising staff rotas. At peak times during the season, the Café can be very busy and the right candidate must be able to handle stress effectively. You will report to the Marketing & Visitor Services Manager.
The role is seasonal and will commence mid-March – first week in November. You will be required to work five days a week, with flexibility to work weekends and Bank Holidays.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Front-of-House Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of front of house staff and ensuring high standards of friendly and efficient customer service are always met
- Organising staff rotas
- Handling customer enquiries and complaints in a professional manner
- Managing Café bookings through email or phone and oversee group/coach bookings
- Working with the kitchen manager to ensure all food safety, health and hygiene measures are carried out to exacting standards
- Ensuring that the Café and toilet facilities are kept clean and checked regularly
- Making speciality coffees and ensuring front of house staff are trained to do this to a high standard
- Responsible for ordering drinks, cleaning products and other goods. Ensuring this is managed effectively and economically
- Working closely with the Kitchen Manager and providing training to staff where necessary
- Handling cash and card transactions, and cashing up using a digital till system (EPOS Now)
- Working with the Marketing and Visitor Services Manager to plan for large coach parties
Qualities, Skills & Experience
We are seeking an exceptional candidate with the following attributes:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Team management experience
- Relevant Food Safety qualifications
- Basic IT skills including knowledge of Outlook and Excel
- A proven multi-tasker who is organised, efficient and productive as well as being accurate and having great attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a sometimes-stressful environment
- A positive individual with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Confident and professional in dealing with customers
Salary will be dependent on experience.
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your relevant experience to Charlotte Kirton, Marketing and Visitor Services Manager via email@example.com